Friday 3 February 2012

Cape Town: Week 1


Hey everybody! My first ever blog post! Thought this would be the best way to let you all know how everything's going over here in South Africa. Just know this is gonna be extremely long. So here goes!

First off. Huge thanks to the sweet little old Ida Cooper who has set us internationals up here in Africa. Bless her heart without her this experience would not be possible. She has done an absolutely marvelous job at orienting us to our surroundings and even more importantly each other. 

As soon as I landed in SA 14 other international students and I were picked up by a group of vibrant UCT students who work for her who took us to our temporary residence where we stayed for the first two days until we moved into our permanent residences. There I was able to meet easily over a hundred other internationals and finally start building my new network. As well as start working on my tan at the pool. My current house is a massive two unit complex that houses 24 students. 12 internationals and 12 UCT rugby players who I will get to later in the post. In my unit there are 8 Americans 2 Germans and 2 Norwegians. I am one of 3 guys. 

Now the other unit is the rugby crew and holy shit these guys are what I would call a hoot. First night I met them they promptly asked, "Hey Bru! You keen from a braai (or bbq) and some brews?!" To which I responded "hell yes!" but I was unsure of how were gonna get beers because in SA liquor stores have to stop selling at 8pm on weekdays and 5pm on weekends. Crazy I know. But one of the guys says in a sly little tone, "Oh don't you worry we're gonna  get some." There was no way I was gonna let these guys go get the drink alone seeing as I knew it should be quite an experience finding what the South African's would call a dodgy little liquor store. So I hopped in the car and went with. Needless to say we got the beers and I got my first little taste of what Cape Town looks like behind the shiny veneers of the posh neighborhoods surrounding UCT. But don't worry mom and pops, I was with some big ass dudes and we were perfectly fine. Lol. Trust me I won't go back without them. Anyway, after this awesome braai filled with scandalous drinking games and delicious meat I was given a proper welcome to the South African night club scene. I was the only one in my unit who was up for a night of clubbing but I figured what the hell its my first night with these guys. So we taxied to Claremont, a nearby neighborhood filled with nightclubs like Tantra, Tin Roof, and Tiger Tiger. I soon found out why people say the rugby team are a bunch of celebrities around here, because I swear everywhere we went it seemed like they knew everybody. One of the guys Hilton was even able to talk the bouncer at Tiger Tiger to let me in with only my T-shirt on which is as far as I have heard strictly forbidden. It was hilarious. One quick exchange and the next thing I knew the bouncer was smiling at me and ushering me in. It seems that this rugby team has inadvertently up my social standing like ten-fold. Its real nice. Didn't get back until like 5am that night. And when I did I gave some of the guys some Oh Boy Oberto beef jerky that they were blown away by! I thought this was hilarious because I'm pretty sure Oberto is some of the more sub par jerky I've had. But they couldn't get enough of it. So mom and pops if you ever send a care package make sure and fill it with tasty Oh Boy Oberto! 

The next day 15 massive buses took hundreds of us exchange students on the most beautiful drive I've ever been on down the coast to the Cape of Good Hope. It was at least a two hour drive. We stopped off in Simon's Town to see a beach that was taken over by cute little African Penguins. These little guys were very interesting. They hardly moved at all. Just stood there awkwardly, perfectly still, and stared at us jabbering kids. Now I'm not entirely sure but I think they like to stay on or close to the beach because the water surrounding this area contains over 50% of the entire great white shark population in the world. After this we were taken to what I believe was the highlight of the day. A local township called Ocean View. Townships came about in Cape Town at the onset of the Apartheid era. When the countries predominantly white government deemed many areas white only. What I found out was that the stunningly beautiful beach community called Simon's Town we had just seen was at one point inhabited by native South Africans, most of whom were black. At the end of the 19th century they were evicted from there homes that they had had for generations and forcibly placed in locals townships, or Cape Flats. Called flats because they area is literally just sprawling flat land. Nothing like the unbelievable terrain we saw by the ocean. These townships are a stunning reminder of just how wide the gap between the rich and the poor is in this wonderful country. In Ocean View we went to the town hall where we were treated by the talent show put on by local kids who wanted to show off their many talents. My favorite acts were a crew of bad ass break dancers unlike any I've ever seen and I young little guy who gave us a tribute to Michael Jackson. This kids could have easily been a better dancer than MJ himself. So amazing. I got videos of it all so I'll put a couple on FB when I get better internet. After Ocean View we went to the Cape of Good Hope which is almost at the southern most tip of Africa. It is commonly mistaken as the southern most point of Africa but it isn't, people just think it is because I swear to god its the most beautiful place I've ever seen. Saw multiple baboons just walking around on the drive through Table Mountain National Park going to the point. Pretty crazy red ass baboons. This day was one of the most incredibly days I've ever had. I did well to get as many phone numbers and meet as many new friends as I could along the way. Which in Africa seems astonishingly easy. Everyone is so kind. 

Now to change gears a little. There are not very many beer selections here in SA. But I have found my favorite cheap beer (15 Rand a quart, or the equivalent of less than 2 dollars). It is called Black Label. And its far better than the piss water Bud and Keystone Light we drink back in the states. I also like the Castle Milk Stout. Very good. Most bars usually only have about 5 different beers. But I have been with the crew to a local bar/restaurant called BananaJam in Kenilworth that thank the lord had an excellent IPA. Can't tell you how happy I was to find this place. As for the cuisine in the Rainbow Nation. I have never been to as many amazing restaurants in one week as I have this week. And the best part of it all is that for the equivalent of like 20 US dollars you can have a full meal and at least three or four drinks. Pretty insane. Some places are a little pricier but most are relatively cheap. To end my day yesterday for example I went to a bar called the Brass Bell right down the train tracks from Muzenberg Beach where we frolicked about yesterday. At this bar me and some new friends each had two shooters, one called Watermelon Kiss and the other called Surfer on Acid, I also had two Castle Milk Stouts, and I shared I bomb diggity pizza and after it all I only spent like 120R, or fifteen dollars. I'm tellin ya, It’s ridiculous here. There are at least 5 or 6 different neighborhoods/ districts surrounding my neighborhood in Rondebosh and each one has plenty of different spots to check out. So there seems to always be something new to see whenever we all go out. A little side note. The train rides here couldn't be more interesting. First time we went to the beach we rode on the "first class" metro rail plus and while sitting on the train a full band of guys jumped on the train with guitars, drums, and a banjo a proceeded to sing us all songs. My favorite was "Welcome to Cape Town!" Got a video of this too! Now on the train ride back we had to get on the regular metro rail, which was f@#%ing packed shoulder to shoulder with all kinds of people. So full that I was forced out at one stop and had to quickly jump back on before the train kept going. To my surprise, a younger looking dude taps me on the shoulder and says "What's your name?" I responded. Than in his thick accent he goes "Patrick. Meet So and So" and introduces me to this random girl standing across from me. He says "You talk now!" I laughed hysterically, humored him and proceeded to talk with a nice native Cape Townian girl. This guy was so funny. Playing metro rail match maker. Lol.

There are probably like ten other international houses within walking distance to my House at 9 Lyle Road which is so cool, because once you meet one person at one house you eventually pretty much meet everyone else. I have made especially good friends in two houses, one called Lovers Walk and the other Charlton House. I have spent a significant amount of time with people in these two houses and in my house. And thankfully I've met so many wonderful kids who have been our Orientation Leaders/ house moms and dads (just call them that because they are here to help us with anything we need). My favorites so far are cool young guy named Fabio from Mozambique, another guy Collin who's originally from Cape Town, and of course sweet little Anne (my house mom) who is from Kenya! After spending the day in downtown on Long Street, probably the most famous  and culturally rich street in Cape Town abounding with innumerable restaurants, bars, and street vendors, Fabio met me, some house mates, and a bunch of the Lovers Walk crew at the top of Signal Hill. Where we drank wine, puffed hookah tobacoo, played ukuleles, guitar, and drums while singing songs, and watching the sun set over the Atlantic Ocean. When I thought about my upcoming experiences in Cape Town back in Cali, this is exactly what I pictured. It was so perfect. 

I'm living like five minutes walk from campus which reminds me a lot of Berkeley, except way more hilly. Probably the best part of where I live is that everyday I walk out of my house I am greeted by one of the most beautiful sights I've ever seen. Table Mountain. If you have never seen it or do not know what I'm talking about look up a picture of it. It's a sprawling table top looking mountain that is unlike anything I've ever seen. When the clouds and fog roll in at the end of each day they appear to rest right on top of the mountain and the locals say its Table Mountain's table cloth. Yea Table Mountain is amazing and I believe it was just voted the 8th natural wonder of the world. I will be climbing it soon. The other day I met an interesting kid named Gabriel from Namibia who is studying Financial Analysis at UCT right now. Had a beer and chatted with him for an hour or so and he said he's keen to take me and anyone else who wants to go up the mountain whenever we want. Apparently he's climbed it a number of times and says the view from the top is stunning.

There all a lot of things I have to get used to about Cape Town that are far different than California. For one everything is pay as you go as far as phone and internet is concerned. Which sucks because being the social butterfly that I am I find that I quickly burn through much of my airtime extremely quickly, so I have to do well to be quick and to the point while talking on the phone and in texts I have to put as much information as possible which is troublesome because the Vodacom phone that I have uses the ancient texting method with 3 and 4 letter on each number and I can’t change it to T9, which makes the words for you, because its such a cheap phone. However, it is a nice change to not constantly be fiddling around on my Iphone. I’m currently in the process of picking up some of the local lingo. There is a lot of it. But definitely the most common phrase you hear is “Howzit!” You need not reply to “Howzit” even though it sounds like people are asking “how is it?” It’s just a South African’s way of saying “Yo!” or “Whaddup!”  It’s quite endearing. I also have to get used to looking right first before I cross the street because in SA like many parts of the world cars drive on the left side of the road. Not gonna lie, my house mom Anne probably saved my life at least twice. But I’m getting better at it.Walking down Main Road, the main thoroughfare connected to my street, I constantly hear what are called mini taxis. Basically they are like VW buses that most everyone uses as a taxi during the day. They only cost like 6 or 7 Rand to use, so less than a dollar but it isn’t uncommon to find yourself crammed into to the bus with 15 other people. And probably the funniest thing about these taxis are the guys who drive them. Going up and down the road you continuously hear the horns and whistles, as well as the screams of the destination to which they are going from of the two man crews operating each taxi. These mini taxis are nothing like US taxis. You never have to halt them because half the time they’re screaming and hollering at you to hop in and catch a ride. Needless to say these Afrikaans speaking taxi operators are more often than not some major characters. They are so fired up to take pictures with us too!

I will soon have to figure out what other things I’m gonna do other than just going to the beach, going out what seems like every night, and going to school. There are so many amazing places to travel to around Cape Town like the Garden route to the East, or Kruger National Park, home to the Big Five. Elephants, Rhinos, Buffalo, Lions, and Leopards. But it also has a number of other animals to see like giraffes, zebras, monkeys, and crocs! I definitely wanna travel up into other countries in Southern Africa as well. My goal would be to travel up through Botswana, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Mozambique, and if I would be so blessed Tanzania to hike up Kilimanjaro. But that might be a stretch. Being an adrenaline junky I fully intend to bungee jump off of Victoria Falls and white water raft the daunting Zambezi River. And there’s no way I’m gonna live here for six months without learning how to surf. Most likely I will join the surfing club. I also gotta go to Stellenbosch, about 45 minutes away, to see the Cheetah Outreach center. My neighbor Cindy worked there for six months a few years ago and has put me in contact with some of her friends who run the place. I can’t wait to go play with the cheetahs!

One of the things I’m most excited to do is join a student group called SHAWCO. SHAWCO students take buses twice a week to local townships to help to help in the effort of strengthening the floundering educational system hear in South Africa. SHAWCO is an ongoing effort and in no way do I think that my presence will bring about some miraculous changes but I feel that it is extremely important to use my time here in SA for more than just partying. Jonathan Hoffenberg, the gentlemen responsible for starting the program has told us over time it all adds up and SHAWCO’s impact is vitally important. I can’t tell you how excited I am to go to these neighborhoods and try in some way to give back the love I have received throughout my life. I am sure it will be an excellent learning experience and I can’t wait to go learn and play with all the little kids!   

The women I’m currently surrounded by in Cape Town are the sexiest, most smoking hot, insanely beautiful women I have ever seen in my entire life. I’m meeting as many as I possibly can. That’s all I have to say about that.       

Last Wednesday we were all treated to a heart pounding African drum workshop on the steps of Middle Campus. 2 native Cape Townian men and Two Congolese men taught all of us internationals a little something about African drums. I tried my best to keep up with all the different beats but these guy s were too nice at playing the drums. It was ridiculously exhilarating to hear the sound of 300 drums pounding all around me. Couldn’t stop smiling the whole time. In fact I don’t think I’ve stopped smiling the entire time I’ve been here.  

I am so incredibly lucky I am to have such an amazing group of family and friends back at home who have played such an integral role in shaping me into the man I am becoming. But most importantly, I have the greatest two parents any kid could ever ask for. They have sacrificed so much, and loved me with all of their hearts since the day I was born and there is no way any of this would be possible without them. To Chuck and Debbie Williams, I love you with all of my heart and can’t wait to show the love you surrounded me with growing up to every person I meet while over here in Africa.

Anyway, that’s about all for now. I hope you enjoy hearing about my experiences and can’t wait to tell you more. I can’t wait to keep the good times rolling and keep meeting new people. I think this next week I’m heading to the Ocean to go swim around with some Great White Sharks. I hear they love posing for pictures. 

5 comments:

  1. AWESOME!!!!!! You're making me terribly "homesick!" I KNEW you would fall head over heels in love with SA, just as I did. Go see those Cheetahs!!!!!!! And hurry, they are planning on moving soon, so check them out while they are at Spier, and go have one of those new fav beers at Moyo while you are there and sit at one of the treehouse tables!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Pat! Loved it! This is a great way to share your adventures. We miss you. I hope your Internet connection is good on campus so you can post some of your pictures. As they say in South Africa ... Be Well! Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Patrick,

    Incredible story for just 9 days. Imagine the novel you will be able to write in 6 months. Also, loved the pictures. Sure hope you can find a reliable, fast and cheap connection to post a trillion more pictures:-) You are an incredible son and I am so very proud of you. Love you so much!! Have fun, avoid the Po Po and make sure you get names, addresses, E-mails etc. so that you can stay in touch with your new friends. Also,tell sweet Ida that your dad said Hi! and thanks so much for all that she has done for you. LOVE YOU AND MISS YOU!!!!!! Pops

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Pat, I really enjoyed reading your blog! I could just picture you saying most of the things I read. Thats awesome your having such a good time and that your balancing school and having fun, and soon voluteering and traveling. So glad your having fun, and will definitely be keeping up with your blog!
    Miss you!
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, Patrick!

    I've always been proud of you, but never more so than today! Live your life, Pat! Be safe.

    Much love,
    Mrs. Wordelman

    ReplyDelete